Saturday, November 1, 2008

St. Sophia Cathedral in Kyiv












I had to post some pictures from my tour of the St. Sophia Cathedral in Kyiv. This cathedral was actually built in the 11th century (in the flowers in one of the pictures, you can see the year construction began). We toured the inside, which, unfortunately, cameras were not allowed inside. but the walls were covered with colorful paintings from the history of the church. Throughout the cathedral, some parts had been renovated and other parts were the original. In some of the pictures, you can see where the outside was not renovated and the original cathedral walls are brick-colored.

We climbed the bell tower (the white column with the gold dome at the top) - 210 steps, but who's counting? As we left the cathedral grounds, we walked into a wedding occuring in the middle of the square!

Tomorrow (Sunday), I am headed into Kyiv again with Grace to relax, write some lesson plans, have some good food and drinks, and I am also on the hunt for a new pair of shoes and a long wool coat (the roads here are eating the soles of my shoes)! Wish me luck!

Take care,
Natalie

No comments: