Saturday, September 27, 2008

Decompression Time





Pictures from top to bottom:

1 and 2. Pictures of City Hall in Philly - I was able to walk through the middle, sit down, and drink my soy steamer (yum yum) on Thursday morning

3. the Market - AMAZING! It is about three blocks from our hotel and it is fabulous! So many different foods to try and it was packed. I didn't want to take a picture with a lot of people in it, so I had to find a quiet row. I have picked up meals here twice: breakfast on Thursday was a soy steamer and an apple and lunch on Friday was an eggplant pita sandwich with hummus and a delicious, doughy, cinnamon roll! YUM YUM!

4. the Tunnel - after I walk in Philadelphia, as soon as I finally arrive at the Tunnel, I know I'm almost to my temporary hotel "home". It is always dark as I walk through, but, as you can see, it feels safe (in the picture, there are at least four police vehicles along the curb).

I arrived in Philadelphia, PA on Wednesday evening at about 10:00pm (I missed my original flight at 8:45am due to a mix-up with the airline agent at the front counter, but hey, at least I was able to get a free breakfast out of the deal). So, after I located my baggage from the earlier flight, I quickly made my way to the ground transportation office to schedule a ride to my hotel. As soon as I walked up, someone asked "Are you in the Ukraine group?" I'm sure it was completely obvious because of my ten suitcases (just kidding, only two...but also a huge hiking backpack and messenger bag...it certainly feels like ten pieces of luggage!). It was great to already meet someone from my group! While we were waiting for the shuttle, three others joined us. We went out for some good food at 1am local time (I had French Toast), then headed to bed.

Staging was referred to as a neutral ground where we were able to "decompress" from all of our emotions - I think this is an accurate description. A time to regain my balance from saying goodbye to family and friends, but still on US soil to prepare for life abroad.

My roommate has been wonderful! When we met, I found out she is actually from Yakima, WA and people are continually asking us, "Did you know each other before PC?" Nope, we just hit it off!

Tomorrow morning at 8:30am, we will load on a charter bus to fly out of New York. Our flight leaves at 5:50pm (local time) tomorrow. I am excited to arrive in Ukraine on Sunday, September 29 at 1:15pm. Hopefully, my baggage will clear the weight restrictions; otherwise, I could be responsible for some hefty fines.

Take care and thanks for reading!

Love,
Nat B

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear staging went well, and that you've met some good people already. How big is your group? And do you know how many volunteers are currently there? I hope you have a safe flight(s) to Kiev, and I can't wait to read the next post!

Anonymous said...

Natalie...this is pretty exciting. Glad things are going well thus far. Reading the blog is fun.

sweetiemaloney said...

Natalie~ wow! your trip has really begun. It will be a fantastic journey. Be good, Be wild and have lots of adventures.
Love, Auntie Sandra