Sunday, May 10, 2009

Parkour Traceurs in Novoukrainka: not for the faint of heart

After traveling for a week to Kirovograd and Kyiv, I was feeling anti-social and didn't want to leave my apartment on my first day back. However, I received a phone call from a student who asked, "Natalie, where are you? We are playing football at the stadium, come play with us." Ok, ok, I forced myself to brush my hair and headed out the door.

After a soccer game in the rain and a discussion with my students about the effects of wind on our health, I came across some of my students practicing parkour. I had never heard of parkour until I lived in Ukraine, but now, students are constantly showing me their pictures and videos of the "traceurs" (someone who practices parkour). Basically, parkour has been compared to extreme sports or martial arts. It's the practice of moving your body from one place to another in the most efficient way possible (which usually involves some "flipping action," as I like to call it).

This is a picture of Anton, one of my 6th grade students. After I took this picture, I asked him, "First time?" (for jumping off this wall) and he replied, "yes." I think he wanted to impress me, especially because I was taking pictures. I quickly responded, "I don't want to see your first time, maybe another day." Thankfully, he agreed and immediately jumped down to safety.



However, Max, a 10th grade student from a different school, has a lot more experience with parkour. Here's a picture of him doing some sort of flip off the wall...yep, he landed it perfectly.


They would run up this sand hill and complete a stunt, usually with Max's help.



Here's Igor, one of my 5th grade students.

Igor and Max



Oh, I had to throw this picture in. Here's Dennis, one of my 5th grade students who stopped by to say hello. I love this kid's sense of humor and am often helping him practice as a goalkeeper.

We only have three weeks of school left and then my whirlwind of summer traveling will begin! The first week of June, I'm headed to Crimea (the ultimate tourist destination in Ukraine) to help with another volunteer's summer camp. I'll certainly keep you updated!
Happy Mother's Day Mom and Grandma! I love and miss you!
Take care,
Nat

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

Hey! Check out this site: http://www.thecutestblogontheblock.com/

there is also this site,http://simplychicblogs.blogspot.com/2008/06/new-cute-free-blog-backgrounds.html

it has directions on the righthand side that I followed but used a background from the first site. :) Good Luck!

Natalie said...

Thanks, Sabrina! I had way too much fun deciding on a new background and font colors...now, back to work!