Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Wrapping Up the School Year...

There are many exciting plans to look forward to this summer, but wrapping up the school year and celebrating with senior students makes me realize that my service committment in Ukraine is almost finished. I really can't believe it has almost been two years since I missed my airplane from Portland to the Peace Corps Orientation (in Philadelphia). I have appreciated being adopted into my site community. Their support has been endless. I'm not quite sure how I'll be able to thank them when it's time for me to go...
Summer plans are in full swing: First, Mallory and David came for a visit! Here are some pictures from the end of the school year:

Our "EuroClub" presented the traditions, dance, and food of Italy at a local festival of European countries. We posed for a quick pic after the event!

Inna and me (soon to be a 9th grade student)

David and Mallory attended our "School Leavers" Celebration at the end of May - it was quite a cultural event for them... I'm so thankful that Mal and David were able to spend an entire week at my site. They had the chance to meet many students, families, and teachers that have had a huge impact on my service in Ukraine.


While celebrating the "Last Bell" (last day of school), many of the teachers are recognized for their contributions to school. After I was called on stage, the director of the school also called Mallory and David up - and we were flooded with flowers from students! Mal and David were so surprised, but this is just another example of how welcoming my community has been. It was awesome to have Mal and David lead some of my lessons, host meetings with students, attend dinners, and play at the stadium. I tried to book their schedule as best as I could!
Sasha and me are pictured below. Sasha's family hosted Mal, David, and me for dinner - the food and company was perfect!



After a busy week in Novoukrainka, Mal, David, and I caught a plane to Egypt! We stayed in Egypt for a little less than a week and had an amazing time (pictures are coming soon, so stay tuned)!

No comments: