Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Inspiring Turkey Health (and other good happenings)

Well, it has been two weeks since my last blog entry… really, only two weeks? I have so many stories to share!


Wonderful news: my SPA grant was funded for a Multimedia Resource and Training Center in our region! You can read more about this grant on my other blog. Throughout this process, I have been impressed with the staff’s enthusiasm for this project and their willingness to share these resources within the region. I have been working with three teachers closely, none of which are my counterpart, to define the goals of this project. I will certainly keep you updated as the funding is received and the project is implemented.

Las week, I spent some time in Kyiv to say goodbye to volunteers from Group 33 who have completed their service. Cheers to Group 33!

Me and Jessica - we lived in the same oblast, so we worked on projects together, traveled together, visited each others' sites, and definitely supported each other. Jess, you'll be missed!


In Kyiv (from left to right): Evan (Group 33), Dorothy (Group 34), me, and Curtis (Group 33).


Our Goodbye Lunch in honor of Seth (Group 33). With Sarah (Group 35) and Dorothy. We went to a traditional Ukrainian restaurant - of course, how could Seth eat anything else on his last day in Ukraine?


Here I am with Brittany (Group 33) - a fellow Portlander! I only met her a few weeks ago, it's unfortunate I didn't meet her earlier! We will have a Voodoo Doughnut date as soon as I'm back...


This week my focus has been on getting back into a routine. Even though school has started, I have been going to school each day to meet with teachers, work on grants and the Peer Advisor program, and socialize. It really does feel great to be back at school. Here's a picture one of my students put on vkontakte (Russian version of Facebook). This picture was taken when I had a small group of students over to prepare for an English competition... the sweet thing about this is it had the caption: "Oh))) She is so cool))) We <3 U. Natalie)))"... (for those of you who aren't familiar with '<3' symbol, it is supposed to be a sideways heart. Don't feel too bad, I had to look it up because I didn't have a clue!).



Part of getting back into my routine is running outside again. Since I’ve moved, I haven’t spent much time at the stadium near my new apartment – until now. Well, as I’ve quickly discovered, it seems that the stadium’s main use is a poultry exercise ring. Yes, many babushkas are often walking their geese and turkeys around the track… normally, sharing doesn’t bother me. However, having a flock of eight to ten turkeys charging me is terrifying! They’ll start in the middle of the field, then, without warning, they’ll all start running towards me – I panic – run faster – and then they usually run behind me and stop for a rest… Other than being scared, it does take my mind off running because I’m constantly tracking the flock! I like how my friend Christie responded after I sang my woes to her about the chasing turkeys, she said, “Well, you’re inspiring them to run!” Yes, way to put a positive spin on it… but I’d rather they be inspired somewhere else. On that note, Happy Thanksgiving!


With love,
Natalie

No comments: