Thursday, March 5, 2009

My Version of a "Novoukrainka Virtual Tour"

Since moving to Novoukrainka, I have constantly been trying to make a mind map of the town layout. Each day, I discover something new about town (today, it was the hair salon). Here's a little walking tour of Lenina Street and the places I frequently visit (beginning the farthest away from my house):

Here is the bus stop in front of the market. Last weekend, I was thankful to buy lightbulbs to replace the burned out ones (made it difficult to read). I was looking at nail polish and the stand keeper offered me to test the colors on her nails, so I had to buy some new nail polish from her - after testing it, of course!



Here's a picture of one of the churches in our town (we only have two). I need to go to a service to check it out, but I haven't yet.



Just behind the church is our stadium! We have a large track with a football field and then there is also a caged-in soccer field...reminds me of indoor! I'm so excited to use this as the weather starts to warm up.




Right across the street from the church is the sports club, where I attend aerobics twice a week. In our aerobics classes, we run through a choreographed dance routine, lift weights, and have a belly-dancing class...interesting, I know...


A couple blocks down is the music school. I went to Sasha's piano concert yesterday (it was my first time actually in this building).


Our administration building...



Here's the large sidewalk in front of the music school and administration building. Love this walkway because it's never muddy!


The Palace of Culture, which is where many community events are held. I went to a concert here today in honor of "Women's Day" (an extremely popular holiday on March 8). In fact, many of my lessons were cancelled today because students were having parties. Tomorrow, we will have a school party and we will have Monday off for this holiday. Whoo-hoo! Lots of celebrations for women, sounds like a marvelous idea to me!


My lovely post office, where, I must admit, has the most gracious and helpful postal workers I've ever encountered...believe it or not!


Here is my school! Gymnasium #7!



Right next door to the school is the Internet store, with the blue sign (where they know me personally because...hmmmm, I'm always buying Internet!). The green sign is the local pharmacy...haven't had to use that, thankfully.



Here's my ATM machine (yeah, I put it on my blog)...
Right across the street from the ATM is the courthouse...not planning to ever be in there.

Right next door to the courthouse is the unemployment office. This office is one block from my house and each morning there is usually a line out front. (It's closed in this picture.)



Ok, we just walked past my house...
Then, here is the primary school. Love the colorful playground...



Here's the end of Lenina Street. Neighborhoods and a river...


Some friends of mine live right on the river. They have promised that we will take their boat out in the summer (they showed me their boat and it's a blow-up raft)...looking forward to the adventures...


I've seen some pictures of Novoukrainka in the spring and it looks absolutely beautiful. I will put some more pictures up as the seasons change, but here is good 'ol winter for you!
Cheers,
Natalie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Natalie Thanks for all the pics and comments.You sound happy and busy. The time seems to be flying by. I am subbing in esl tomorrow--should be interesting. Hope to learn a lot. Sue

Natalie said...

Hi Sue! Yes, I can't believe how quickly the time is going...it's going to be summer soon!

The ESL class you'll be in, it's elementary students, right? I'm sure they're a fun group to work with. Please give Danja and Taylor an extra hug for me!

Love you!

Anonymous said...

I love it, Nat! Your town has great architecture...very thorough tour!
It sounds like things are going well for you...can you believe you've nearly made it through your first winter? I look forward to hearing what's next for you...
Stay in touch,
Brian

sweetiemaloney said...

Natalie~very impressed with the Womens Day celebrations. Do they treat women special only one day of the year or is it an equality based culture? Love the pics and hearing about the people from all different parts of the town...special your neighbors. Bet they tell some good stories? Hope you had a good vacation - going to Sodoma myself soon. Love Auntie Sandra